Di Ethylene Glycol (DEG) is a colorless, odorless organic compound commonly used as a solvent and in the production of plastics, resins, and antifreeze.
What is Di Ethylene Glycol (DEG)?
Di Ethylene Glycol (DEG) is a versatile, colorless, and odorless organic compound with the chemical formula C4H10O3. It is a glycol, which means it contains two hydroxyl (-OH) groups. DEG is commonly used as a solvent in various industries, including textiles, pharmaceuticals, and plastics manufacturing. It is also a key ingredient in the production of resins, cosmetics, and antifreeze.
Di Ethylene Glycol (DEG) Advantages:
- Solvent Properties: DEG’s excellent solvent properties make it valuable for dissolving a wide range of substances, including dyes and pigments in the textile industry.
- Plasticizer: DEG is used as a plasticizer in the production of plastics, enhancing their flexibility and durability.
- Antifreeze: It serves as a crucial component in antifreeze formulations, preventing the freezing of liquids in automotive cooling systems.
- Hygroscopic Nature: DEG’s hygroscopic nature makes it suitable for applications where moisture absorption is essential, such as in brake fluids.
- Cosmetic and Pharmaceutical Use: DEG is used in the formulation of cosmetics and pharmaceuticals as a carrier for various active ingredients.
Di Ethylene Glycol (DEG) Uses:
- Textile Industry: DEG is employed as a solvent for dyes and in the manufacturing of polyester fibers.
- Plastics Production: It acts as a plasticizer, improving the flexibility and durability of plastics.
- Automotive: DEG is a key ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluids.
- Cosmetics: It is used in cosmetic products like skin creams and lotions.
- Pharmaceuticals: DEG is utilized as a carrier in some pharmaceutical formulations.
Di Ethylene Glycol ( DEG ) Specifications [ Di Ethylene Glycol ( DEG ) Analysis ]:
|Appearance||Clear Liquid||Clear Liquid||_||Visual|
|Specific Gravity @ 20 °C||1.1175-1.1195||1.1186||_||ASTM D891|
|Color||Max. 15||6||Pt-Co||ASTM D1209|
|Acidity (as acetic acid)||Max. 50||< 50||ppm||ASTM D1613|
|Assay||Min 99.5||99.9||%wt||ASTM E202|
|MEG||Max. 0.2||0.06||%wt||ASTM E202|
|TEG||Max. 0.5||0.03||%wt||ASTM E202|
|Water||Max. 0.2||0.03||%wt||ASTM E203|
To get more information about Diethylene glycol please contact us.