Monoethylene Glycol (MEG) is a versatile chemical compound commonly used as an antifreeze and in the production of polyester fibers and resins.
What is Monoethylene Glycol?
Monoethylene Glycol (MEG) is a colorless, odorless, and sweet-tasting organic compound with the chemical formula C2H6O2. It is a crucial industrial chemical used primarily as an antifreeze in various applications, including automotive cooling systems and as a deicing agent for aircraft. MEG is also a fundamental building block in the production of polyester fibers and resins.
Mono Ethylene Glycol Advantages:
Monoethylene Glycol offers several advantages, including:
- Excellent Antifreeze: MEG lowers the freezing point of water, making it a vital component in antifreeze formulations to protect engines and pipelines from freezing.
- Hygroscopic Properties: MEG has a high affinity for water, making it effective in moisture removal from natural gas and air systems.
- Polyester Production: It serves as a key raw material in the manufacture of polyester fibers, films, and resins.
- Chemical Intermediary: MEG is a versatile chemical intermediary used in various chemical processes.
- Non-toxic and Biodegradable: MEG is non-toxic to humans and environmentally friendly, as it is readily biodegradable.
Mono Ethylene Glycol Uses:
- Antifreeze and Coolants
- Deicing Agent
- Polyester Fiber and Resin Production
- Natural Gas Dehydration
- Chemical Intermediary in Various Industries
Mono Ethylene Glycol ( MEG ) Specifications [ Mono Ethylene Glycol ( MEG ) Analysis ]:
|Appearance||Clear Liquid||Clear Liquid||_||Visual|
|Purity||Min. 99.0||99.9||%wt||ASTM E202|
|Diethylene glycol||Max. 0.5||0.08||%wt||ASTM E202|
|Other Glycols||Max. 0.1||0.005||%wt||ASTM E202|
|Refractive Index @ 25ºC||1.430 – 1.432||1.431||_||_|
|Specific Gravity @ 20 °C||1.1151‐1. 1156||1.1155||_||ASTM D891|
|Color||Max. 15||5.0||Pt-Co||ASTM D209|
|Acidity (as acetic acid)||Max. 0.005||0.003||%wt||ASTM D1613|
|Distillation range||193‐204||195-198||°C||ASTM D1078|
|Ash||Max. 0.0045||0.003||%wt||ASTM E347|
|Water||Max. 0.3||0.04||%wt||ASTM E203|
To get more information about monoethylene glycol please contact us.